The Firefighting Division is the largest in the Department and consists of 3 District Chiefs and 18 career firefighters. Combat personnel are augmented by part-time firefighters. Staffing is divided into three 24 hour shifts: A, B and C. Each shift currently operates under the command of a District Chief and includes one Captain and five firefighters. All firefighters are also licensed emergency medical technicians and/or paramedics.
During calendar year 2016, the New Port Richey Fire Department responded to a total of 4,553 calls:
- Fires 46
- Medical Calls 3131
- Hazardous Conditions 67
- Service Calls 351
- Good Intent Calls 797
- False Alarms 164
Highlights & Accomplishments
- NPRFD is a designated state funded Type 2 Light Technical Rescue Team (LTRT)
- In August, 2017 the State of Florida Department of Health conducted an unannounced EMS inspection. No deficiencies were found and NPRFD received a rating of “excellent”.
- The department received a 90% rating from the State of Florida on the most recent USAR (Urban Search and Rescue) evaluation
- In 2017, the City of New Port Richey maintained its Public Protection Classification of 3 from the Insurance Services Office (I.S.O.) This rating is based on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being the highest. Criteria for this rating includes various aspects of Fire Department, Dispatch and Public Works operations.
- New Port Richey firefighters completed over 4,800 hours of training in 2016.