Do you consider yourself to be community minded? Are you interested in learning more about the inner workings of your city? If so, you may want to consider enrolling in the City’s 2023 Spring Citizens Academy. Classes begin on February 1, 2023 from 6PM-8:30PM (with the exception of the first class which will be from 6PM-9PM) and run each Wednesday evening at varying locations within the city for nine weeks. Graduation ceremony will take place at the regular City Council meeting on Tuesday, April 4, 2023 at 7:00 p.m. Class size is limited to 30 participants.
The Citizens Academy is an enjoyable and interactive program to inform citizens about how local government is organized as well as how services are funded and delivered. Program participants will be introduced to a variety of topics which include: Getting to Know Your City Council/Manager/Attorney/Clerk, Law Enforcement, Governmental Budgeting and Economic Development, Water & Wastewater Management, Fire Department and Emergency Management, Public Works and Utilities, Library, Planning and Land Use and Parks & Recreation.
The program is also a great place to learn about becoming involved as a citizen who is interested and vested in the city’s future. The Citizens Academy is open to city residents ages 18 and up however non-residents may apply and be approved at the discretion of the City Manager. Please note that participants may be removed from the program at any time at the discretion of the City Manager. Applications may be downloaded here and once completed should be submitted to City Clerk Judy Meyers. Registration for the 2023 Spring Academy is now closed. The application period for the 2023 Fall Academy will open later this year.
2023 Spring Academy
- Week 1 – February 1, 2023 – Getting to Know Your City Council, City Manager, City Attorney and City Clerk* (Location: Council Chambers, City Hall, 5919 Main Street, NPR)
- Week 2 – February 8, 2023 – Governmental Budgeting and Economic Development (Location: Council Chambers, City Hall, 5919 Main Street, NPR)
- Week 3 – February 15, 2023 – Law Enforcement (Location: Police Department, 6739 Adams Street, NPR)
- Week 4 – February 22, 2023 – Public Works and Utilities (Location: Public Works Operation Center, 6132 Pine Hill Road, PR)
- Week 5 – March 1, 2023 – Parks and Recreation (Location: Recreation & Aquatic Center, 6630 Van Buren Street, NPR)
- Week 6 – March 8, 2023 – Fire Department and Emergency Management (Location: Fire Station No. 1, 6333 Madison Street, NPR)
- Week 7 – March 15, 2023 – Planning & Land Use and Parks & Recreation (Location: Recreation & Aquatic Center, 6630 Van Buren Street, NPR)
- Week 8 – March 22, 2023 – Water and Wastewater Management (Location: WWTP, 4730 Main Street, NPR)
- Week 9 – March 29, 2023 – Library (Location: NPR Public Library, 5939 Main Street, NPR)
*This is the only session that is open to the general public as City Council is in attendance. All other sessions are only open to those participants enrolled in the Citizens Academy.*
In photo above 2022 Fall Citizens Academy Participants (from left to right) Dale Baptie, Deputy Mayor Mike Peters, City Clerk Judy Meyers, Mario Marotta, Sandra Farnan, William Labbancz, Jeanette Gordon, Michael Gordon, Denise Houston, Bob Schmidt, Julia McCutcheon, Michelle House, Brian Brenhoch, Patty Robinson, Liz Misemer, James Manser, Jean LeFebvre, Kenleh Ridenour, City Manager Debbie L. Manns, Bonnie Martin and Mayor Rob Marlowe. (participants not pictured – Daniel Holback)