Do you consider yourself to be community minded? Are you interested in learning more about the inner workings of your city? If so, you may want to consider enrolling in the City’s 2022 Fall Citizens Academy. Classes begin on August 31, 2022 from 6PM-8:30PM (with the exception of the first class which will be from 6PM-9PM) and run each Wednesday evening at varying locations within the city for nine weeks. Graduation ceremony will take place at the regular City Council meeting on Tuesday, November 15, 2022 at 7:00 p.m. Class size is limited to 30 participants.
The Citizens Academy is an enjoyable and interactive program to inform citizens about how local government is organized as well as how services are funded and delivered. Program participants will be introduced to a variety of topics which include: Getting to Know Your City Council/Manager/Attorney/Clerk, Law Enforcement, Governmental Budgeting and Economic Development, Water & Wastewater Management, Fire Department and Emergency Management, Public Works and Utilities, Library, Planning and Land Use and Parks & Recreation.
The program is also a great place to learn about becoming involved as a citizen who is interested and vested in the city’s future. The Citizens Academy is open to city residents ages 18 and up however non-residents may apply and be approved at the discretion of the City Manager. Applications may be downloaded here and once completed should be submitted to City Clerk Judy Meyers. Registration for this academy will be open June 1, 2022 until August 1, 2022.
2022 Fall Academy
- Week 1 – August 31, 2022 – Getting to Know Your City Council, City Manager, City Attorney and City Clerk (Location: Council Chambers, City Hall, 5919 Main Street, NPR)
- Week 2 – September 7, 2022 – Law Enforcement (Location: Police Department, 6739 Adams Street, NPR)
- Week 3 – September 14, 2022 – Governmental Budgeting and Economic Development (Location: Council Chambers, City Hall, 5919 Main Street, NPR)
- Week 4 – September 21, 2022 – Water and Wastewater Management (Location: WWTP, 4730 Main Street, NPR)
- Week 5 – September 28, 2022 – Parks and Recreation (Location: Recreation & Aquatic Center, 6630 Van Buren Street, NPR)
- Week 6 – October 5, 2022 – Fire Department and Emergency Management (Location: Fire Station No. 1, 6333 Madison Street, NPR)
- Week 7 – October 12, 2022 – Planning and Land Use (Location: Council Chambers, City Hall, 5919 Main Street, NPR)
- Week 8 – October 19, 2022 – Public Works and Utilities (Location: Public Works Operation Center, 6132 Pine Hill Road, PR
- Week 9 – October 26, 2022 – Library (Location: NPR Public Library, 5939 Main Street, NPR)
In photo above (from left to right) former-Deputy Mayor Chopper Davis, Mayor Rob Marlowe, City Manager Debbie L. Manns, Jennifer Reznick, Joe Wolf, Diane Kline, Jason Vargas, Councilman Peter Altman, Kenneth Stevens, Launi Harden, Frank Ferreri, Councilman Matt Murphy, City Clerk Judy Meyers, Jeremy Dunn and Deputy Mayor Mike Peters. (participants not pictured – Beth Sander and Robert Marin.)