Do you consider yourself to be community minded? Are you interested in learning more about the inner workings of your city? If so, you may want to consider enrolling in the City’s new Citizens Academy. Classes begin on January 5, 2022 from 6PM-8PM and run each Wednesday evening at varying locations within the city for nine weeks. The tentative class schedule is listed below.
The Citizens Academy is an enjoyable and interactive program to inform citizens about how local government is organized as well as how services are funded and delivered. Program participants will be introduced to a variety of topics which include: Community Vitality, Dollars and Sense, Law Enforcement, Emergency Management and Environmental Sustainability.
The program is also a great place to learn about becoming involved as a citizen who is interested and vested in the city’s future.
Applications may be downloaded here and once completed should be submitted to City Clerk Judy Meyers. Registration for this academy is now closed. The next academy is tentatively scheduled for late summer/early fall.
- Week 1 – January 5, 2022 – Getting to Know Your City Council, City Manager and City Clerk (Location: Council Chambers, City Hall, 5919 Main Street, NPR)
- Week 2 – January 12, 2022 – Law Enforcement (Location: Police Department, 6739 Adams Street, NPR)
- Week 3 – January 19, 2022 – Governmental Budgeting and Economic Development (Location: Council Chambers, City Hall, 5919 Main Street, NPR)
- Week 4 – January 26, 2022 – Public Works and Utilities – Part I Water & Wastewater Management (Location: WWTP, 4730 Main Street, NPR)
- Week 5 – February 2, 2022 – Fire Department and Emergency Management (Location: Fire Station No. 1, 6333 Madison Street, NPR)
- Week 6 – February 9, 2022 – Parks and Recreation (Location: Recreation & Aquatic Center, 6630 Van Buren Street, NPR)
- Week 7 – February 16, 2022 – Library (Location: NPR Public Library, 5939 Main Street, NPR)
- Week 8 – February 23, 2022 – Planning and Land Use (Location: Council Chambers, City Hall, 5919 Main Street, NPR)
- Week 9 – March 2, 2022 – Public Works and Utilities – Part II (Location: Public Works Operation Center, 6132 Pine Hill Road, PR)
Graduation ceremony will take place at the regular City Council meeting on Tuesday, March 15, 2021 at 7:00 p.m.