Water Production Plant Operator “A, B, C or Trainee”
Water Production Plant Operator "A, B, C or Trainee"Download Application
DEPARTMENT: Public Works
REPORTS TO: Lead Operator
CLASSIFICATION STATUS: Full Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: $$16.42 – $30.16 hourly DOQ
Under direction, performs skilled and semi-skilled tasks as related to the operation and maintenance of a Water Treatment Facility.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the major tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position. Specific tasks on a day to day basis will reflect the overall areas of expertise for this position.
- Performs various maintenance tasks such as yard work, tank cleaning, painting and janitorial work.
- Completes work orders and check lists under the direction of the Lead Operator.
- Records various daily, monthly and annual data including flows, meter readings, tanks levels and instrument readings.
- Collects water samples, calibrates instruments, runs laboratory tests under the direction of the Lead Operator.
- Completes various required courses for certification.
- Operates various mechanical and electrical equipment under the direction of the Lead Operator.
- Observes plant processes and equipment and reports back to Lead Operator.
- Makes process adjustments via SCADA to maintain the most efficient and economical operation under the direction of the Lead Operator
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledgeable about all types of mechanical and electrical components normally associated with the operation of a Water Treatment Facility.
- Knowledge in chemical processes.
- Knowledge of various laboratory tests, federal, state and local operating regulations.
- Knowledge of basic operation and maintenance of various plant equipment.
- Knowledge of Plant SCADA system.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing, technical information to management and fellow employees.
- Ability to work effectively alongside fellow employees as well as independently.
- Ability to fit in with the existing team.
- Ability to understand and take seriously the public health, environmental and financial ramifications of being negligent in his or her duties.
- Ability to comply with all the rules in the City Personnel Hand Book and all State, Federal and Local environmental laws.
- Ability to take direction and follow established protocols.
- Ability to perform basic physical tasks.
- Ability to read, write and perform math functions.
- Ability to learn and follow established procedures.
TRAINING, CERTIFICATIONS, AND EXPERIENCE:
Must be a High School graduate or have a G.E.D. and a Class “A”, “B” or “C” Florida Water Treatment Plant Operators License. A trainee may be considered for this position depending on the applicant pool.
Must possess a valid Florida Drivers License. Ability to operate a motor vehicle. Required to work shift work, overtime, weekends, holidays and On-Call. This position is to be considered an “essential personnel” and is required to report to duty for emergency situations such as floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, sinkholes, water/sewer breaks and other crises to provide for public safety. Every New Port Richey employee is required to fill out a Disaster Response Survey and is subject to being required to report to work during a declared disaster.
Often transitions from indoor to outdoors. Some portions of the WTP are hot, cramped and/or may contain offensive odors. Some surfaces are slippery and/or have open grates. Due to size, location and various levels within the WTP and storage tanks, the ability to sit, walk, climb stairs, and ladders and agility is required. Must be able to lift at least 50 lbs.
Ability to hear, speak and understand conversation in English in various tones of voice, as well as accents or rapidly spoken in order to be able to do job. Ability to see, read, and comprehends letters, numbers, words, characters or symbols, which are both large and small. Ability to print and draw letters, numbers, words, characters and symbols which are legible and understood by others. Ability to learn complex tasks and remember how to complete tasks without assistance once trained.
Working in confined spaces. Work near high voltage. In close contact with a variety of combustibles, corrosives, toxic chemicals, and gases such as chlorine, hydrogen sulfide & ammonium hydroxide.
Applications can be emailed to HR@cityofnewportrichey.org, faxed to 727-853-1043 or sent/dropped off to 5919 Main St., New Port Richey, FL 34652 EOE/DFWP
The City of New Port Richey is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity guidelines and the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of New Port Richey provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.