Technology Support Specialist
Technology Support SpecialistDownload Application
DEPARTMENT: Technology Solutions
REPORTS TO: TS Director
CLASSIFICATION STATUS: Full time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: $18.86 hourly
The Technology Support Specialist is a generalist position devoted to all aspects of computer set-up, installation, troubleshooting, service, upgrades, and maintenance. The position also includes Network and Databases administration, management of SQL and GIS data, product research and administrative duties. The position may require some physical activity such as lifting and moving computer equipment into place or crawling in tight spaces.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the major tasks per-formed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position. Specific tasks on a day to day basis will reflect the overall areas of expertise for this position.
- Provides support for Technology Solutions Department based on the needs of the City.
- Updates office documentation and user manuals as needed.
- Assists with computer and development of computer training for employees.
- Performs troubleshooting on desktops, laptops, printers, copiers, phones and additional items under the support of Technology Solutions.
- Performs software troubleshooting on MS Office, McAfee, Adobe, Java, Internet Explorer, Fire fox and other internal applications.
- Basic Troubleshooting with TCP/IP troubleshooting, LAN\WAN, etc.
- Customer Service skills and follow through necessary when working with customer base.
- Maintains physical network, wiring, hardware, AV system, Cameras and softwares.
- Attends City meetings to run the audio-visual equipment as needed.
- Performs deployment of new computer hardware such as desktops, laptops, printers and additional items as needed.
- Updates and maintains system inventories including hardware and software.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Employee will be a member of the Emergency Response Team.
- Supports and maintains Network Infrastructure throughout City buildings.
- Completes research projects as assigned by the Technology Solutions Director.
- Assists with administrative assignments to support the operations.
- Assists in maintaining SQL and GIS data supported by the department.
- Trains user staff and provides technical support in application of statistical and mapping software.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience supporting user level OS for Windows 7/8/10.
- Ability to support software applications including MS Office, Kaspersky, Terminal Services, Adobe, Java, Internet Explorer, Fire fox and other internal applications.
- Experience with troubleshooting, repair and perform preventative maintenance for PC’s, laptops, printers and copiers.
- Basic experience with TCP/IP troubleshooting, VPN, SQL and GIS.
- Ability to follow established standards and make suggestions for improvement.
- Superior communication, interpersonal skills and ability to effectively produce user documentation.
- Desire to learn and expand existing technology expertise.
- Ability to adapt to new technology as necessary.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors and vendors.
- Ability to work independently and unsupervised from time to time.
- Ability to be on call and work a flex hour schedule.
- Ability to accurately perform detailed tasks and adjust and adapt to changing work processes.
- Knowledge of principles and methods applied to database infrastructure, planning, implementation, maintenance and management.
TRAINING, CERTIFICATIONS, AND EXPERIENCE:
Graduation from high school or GED equivalent required. Completion of an Associate’s Degree in the field of Information Technologies along with one year of field experience or three years work experience in networking or database administration. Basic knowledge in SQL database, SQL management studio. An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-related competencies noted.
- Must possess a valid Florida driver’s license.
- Must maintain a valid personal telephone number.
- May be required to work overtime, or alternate hours, as necessary for the efficient operation of the department.
- The ability to operate a motor vehicle to conduct site visits, pickup or deliver computer components, or perform other work activities.
- This position is to be considered an “essential personnel” and is required to report to duty for emergency situations such as floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, sinkholes, water/sewer breaks and other crises to provide for public safety.
- Every New Port Richey employee is required to fill out a Disaster Response Survey and is subject to being required to report to work during a declared disaster.
Tasks require the ability to exert very moderate physical effort in light work, typically involving some combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling, and which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight (12-25 pounds).
The job requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing, speaking, the ability to perceive and discriminate colors or shades of colors, sense of smell, depth perception and texture perception. Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate sounds, visual cues or signals. Employee must also have the ability to print and draw letters, numbers, words, characters and symbols which are legible and understood by others.
Performance of essential functions may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dust, odors, machinery, electric currents, bright/dim light, or traffic hazards. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Ability to deal with routine deadlines, occupational problems and frustrated users. Tact and respect are always required when dealing with users, fellow employees, department heads, constitutional officers, the general public and all other persons or entities.
Applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or sent/dropped off to 5919 Main St., New Port Richey, FL 34652