Equipment Operator I – Grounds Maintenace
Equipment Operator I - Grounds MaintenanceDownload Application
DEPARTMENT: Public Works
REPORTS TO: Grounds Maintenance Section Leader
CLASSIFICATION STATUS: Full Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: $14.89 hourly
Performs semi-skilled work in the operation of light trucks and other light automotive and maintenance equipment. Performs manual labor, much of which is construction related. Additional semi-skilled work to varying degrees of skilled work in the installation, repair, and maintenance of water distribution, reclaimed water distribution, sewage collection systems and stormwater utility systems may also be required.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the major tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position. Specific tasks on a day to day basis will reflect the overall areas of expertise for this position.
- Operates the following equipment: two ton flatbed dump truck, ten yard dump truck (yard debris), pickup truck, water truck, bucket truck, tractor with broom attachment, back-hoe, front-end loader, mowing tractor, fork lift, water pump, air compressor, chain and cement saws, cement mixers, and portable compactors;
- May operate heavier equipment on a relief or trainee basis to acquire necessary skill and experience;
- Assist in the care and maintenance of equipment to include regular safety inspections;
- Perform maintenance and custodial duties in parks and grounds facilities;
- Works in a variety of unskilled and semiskilled tasks;
- Performs minor repair and maintenance of equipment;
- Performs related work as required;
- Assist in preparing facilities for classes and special events;
- Assisting the public by providing information regarding programming and services;
- Assisting in special events as scheduled;
- Detects safety risks and hazards to users and employees and devises corrective measure;
- Submits written requests for supplies and materials;
- Recognition of emergency situations and administering action as required;
- Remain on call for personnel, maintenance, security and emergency issues 24/7;
- Utilization of equipment to include a variety of hand and power tools in the disposition of duties; and
- Operates a wide variety of gas powered, electric, hydraulic, air powered tools and equipment such as plate compactors, cut off saws, drills, push machines, weedeaters, blowers, generators, jumping jack compactors etc;
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and ability to perform tree and trail maintenance;
- Knowledge of methods and requirements for the upkeep of parks and grounds facilities;
- Knowledge of the operation and maintenance of light-duty, motor-driven equipment;
- Knowledge of and ability to use standard hand and power tools and equipment for grounds and tree maintenance activities;
- Knowledge of the traffic laws, ordinances, and regulations involved in the operation of such equipment;
- Knowledge of standard safety equipment and procedures involved in operation of equipment;
- Knowledge of standard cleaning products and chemicals;
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, holidays and during emergence situations as required;
- Ability to understand and follow oral or written instructions;
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate sound judgment;
- Ability to handle multiple activities at once and work positively within a team model;
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor under any type of weather conditions;
- Ability to read technical manuals for comprehension;
- Ability to follow required safety precautions;
- Ability to communicate effectively and clearly in English, both orally and in writing; and
- Familiar with City limits and City streets and neighborhoods.
TRAINING, CERTIFICATIONS, AND EXPERIENCE:
Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma. Certification in CPR. A comparable amount of directly related experience may be substituted at the City’s discretion for the minimum educational requirements if candidates are not available that fully meet the minimum requirements of the position as posted.
Must possess a valid Florida drivers license. Applicants must obtain a Florida Commercial Drivers License Class B with air brake endorsement temporary permit within 10 days from being notified and obtain a current Florida CDL Class B license with air brake endorsement within 90 days. This position is to be considered an “essential personnel” and is required to report to duty for emergency situations such as floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, sinkholes, water/sewer breaks and other crises to provide for public safety. Every New Port Richey employee is required to fill out a Disaster Response Survey and is subject to being required to report to work during a declared disaster. Ability to be “On Call” 24-hr Emergency standby as required by rotation. Employee must live close enough to the City to be able to respond to Emergency call backs and be on scene within 30 minutes.
Often transitions from indoor to outdoors. Ability to lift up to 80 pounds. Ability to frequently bend, climb, stoop, squat and walk. Physical strength and ability to work long hours out-of-doors, occasionally under adverse weather conditions.
Ability to hear, speak and understand conversation in English in various tones of voice, as well as accents or rapidly spoken in order to be able to do job. Ability to see, read, and comprehends letters, numbers, words, characters or symbols, which are both large and small. Ability to print and draw letters, numbers, words, characters and symbols which are legible and understood by others. Ability to learn complex tasks and remember how to complete tasks without assistance once trained. Many cleaning chemicals and pesticides used as an Equipment Operator give off noxious fumes and have powerful odors. If not handled properly, the cleaning materials can cause serious injury, sickness and skin irritation and rashes may occur.
Must be able to work in confined spaces. Work near high voltage. Not afraid of heights (aerial work from a bucket truck). Ability to work safely in and along roadways where vehicle and pedestrian conflicts are common.
Applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or sent/dropped off to 5919 Main Street, New Port Richey, FL 34652 EOE/DFWP