Accounts Receivable Clerk
Accounts Receivable ClerkDownload Application
DEPARTMENT: Finance – Accounting & Budgeting Division
REPORTS TO: Assistant Finance Director
CLASSIFICATION STATUS: Full Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: $15.94 hourly
Under general direction, the purpose of the job is to perform accounting work in all facets of governmental finance, including revenue and accounts receivable accounts. The purpose of the job is also to perform account keeping and related clerical tasks within defined limits, specifically as it relates to Accounts Receivable, and to perform a variety of clerical duties incidental to Finance Department functions.
An employee in this job classification is expected to exercise independent professional judgement, based on knowledge of accounting practices and principles.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSBILITIES:
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the major tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position. Specific tasks on a day to day basis will reflect the overall areas of expertise for this position.
- Processes new customer billings and invoices
- Receives payments from customers and process receivables
- Follows up on late payments
- Maintains receivable accounts
- Completes posting of all payments and adjustments in a timely and accurate manner
- Provides billing and customer support to customers and residents
- Verifies account numbers on all revenue received
- Assists with preparing daily cash sheet on electronic spreadsheet
- Assists with preparing journal entries
- Assists with subsidiary ledgers to general ledger
- Assists with maintaining Accounts Receivable and preparing monthly reporting
- Responsible for daily banking
- Performs yearly inventory at Public Works Complex
- Assists with auditors, as required
- Performs other related duties, as required
Education and Experience
- High School graduate or equivalent, with 3-5 years of Accounts Receivable experience
- Experience in governmental accounting is a plus
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of:
- basic accounting principles and procedures
- Florida Uniform Accounting Code for municipalities
- municipal accounting and purchasing principles
- applying accounting principles to the preparation and maintenance of accounting records
- Finance Department policies and procedures
- Ability to effectively operate and utilize modern office technologies, such as computers, standard software applications, and associated peripheral equipment
- Ability to make decisions within established accounting policies and procedures
- Ability to establish and maintain effective professional relationships with other employees, vendors, and the public
- Ability to recognize errors and take corrective action
- Ability to understand and carry out complex oral and written instruction
- Ability to perform assignments accurately and quickly
- Ability to exercise good judgement within policy guidelines
- Ability to deal with stress related to routine deadlines and occupational challenges which demand immediate attention
- Ability to multi-task successfully
Must have a valid Florida’s driver’s license
Every New Port Richey employee is required to fill out a Disaster Response Survey and is subject to being required to report to work during a declared disaster.
While performing duties of this job, the employee must be physically able to operate a variety of automated office machines, which include a computer, calculator, printer, copier, scanner, postage meter, etc. Employee is regularly required to sit, stand, and use hands to feel and handle; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk, stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move items, not exceeding 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Ability to understand what others are saying in normal conversation and on the telephone; Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, with others and speak effectively on the telephone; Ability to see and read computer monitors and read normal and fine print
The employee must be able to deal with extensive public contact, requiring numerous interruptions in workflow. The employee must be able to multi-task successfully and handle routine deadlines and occupational problems, which demand immediate attention.
Applications can be emailed to email@example.com, faxed to 727-853-1043 or sent dropped off to 5919 Main St, New Port Richey, FL 34652 EOE/DFWP
The City of New Port Richey is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity guidelines and the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of New Port Richey provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.