Administrative Executive Assistant
Administrative Executive AssistantDownload Application
DEPARTMENT: City Manager/Economic Development
REPORTS TO: Economic Development Director
CLASSIFICATION STATUS: Full Time, Exempt
SALARY: $18.25 to $27.37 per hour
Performs a wide variety of complex administrative assistant tasks requiring initiative, independent judgment and extensive working knowledge of City organization and programs. Organization and secretarial skills are at the highest level. Work entails dealing with political, confidential and sensitive issues requiring a high degree of discretion and tact. Receives visitors and telephone calls; ascertains nature of business and personally handles those requesting routine information, appointments and tasks; directs remainder to appropriate official/staff. Responsible professional administrative work engenders this position. Under limited supervision, performs a variety of responsible tasks and projects.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the major tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position. Specific tasks on a day to day basis will reflect the overall areas of expertise for this position.
- Schedules appointments for, and with, the City Manager, if requested.
- Coordinates and schedules meetings; makes travel arrangements for training sessions and conferences including requisitions for reimbursement.
- Reviews and briefs for news articles, reports, bulletins and other materials.
- Composes letters and memoranda.
- Routes mail to proper officials, as necessary; responds to routine correspondence within established guidelines; annotates and delivers non-routine correspondence to City Manager.
- Maintains files and records for the City Manager.
- Prepares and types a variety of routine and special reports from source material in files, including confidential material.
- Assists with preparing agendas; collects, duplicates and disseminates back up materials; attends meetings and takes notes; prepares follow-up staff instructions to be distributed to all City departments.
- Prepares payroll for Economic Development Department.
- Assists in the preparation of proclamations as required.
- Reconciles monthly billing from City credit cards.
- Prepares requisitions for Economic Development Department.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of business English, mathematics and legal formats and terms.
- Ability to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of the office procedures.
- Knowledge of ordinances and official functions procedures.
- Skill in the use of note-taking, as required by the area of assignment.
- Ability to work independently on complex and confidential secretarial tasks, compose effective and accurate correspondence, and deal with non-routine and complex tasks.
- Ability to multi-task successfully.
- Ability to deal with the public in an effective and courteous manner.
- Ability to communicate successfully with legislative and administrative personnel of the City.
- Ability to keep complex fiscal and statistical records, ledgers and files and provide information correctly and concisely, orally and in writing.
- Ability to independently prepare agendas, legal documents, resolutions, ordinances and related complex or confidential correspondence.
- Ability to listen and ascertain the needs of customers; ability to find and communicate accurate information concerning process, policies and procedures to customers; ability to respond to customers tactfully and courteously.
- Expertise with internet, word-processing, e-mail, document management, and spread sheet programs utilized by the City.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City officials, employees and the general public.
- Ability to organize, record and deliver information.
- Ability to utilize mathematical formulas and exercise analytical judgment.
TRAINING, CERTIFICATIONS, AND EXPERIENCE:
Graduation from high school and college-level courses in English, business, law or public administration required. Preferred candidates will have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university. Five or more years of progressive professional related experience as an administrative executive assistant to a CEO, Board of Directors or senior level staff members. Notary Public for the State of Florida required. Experience in any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Must have a valid Florida drivers’ license. Ability to operate a motor vehicle. Every New Port Richey employee is required to fill out a Disaster Response Survey and is subject to being required to report to work during a declared disaster.
Requires sedentary work that involves walking or standing some of the time and routine keyboard operations. The job risks exposure to no significant environmental hazards. The job requires normal visual acuity, and field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception, sense of smell, depth perception, and texture perception. Ability to stand and sit for periods longer than 30 minutes but not to exceed four hours consecutively. Ability to climb stairs and ladders occasionally. Ability to lift boxes not exceeding 25 pounds occasionally.
Ability to hear, speak and understand conversation in English in various tones of voice, as well as accents or rapidly spoken in order to be able to do job. Ability to see, read, and comprehends letters, numbers, words, characters or symbols, which are both large and small. Ability to print and draw letters, numbers, words, characters and symbols which are legible and understood by others. Ability to learn complex tasks and remember how to complete tasks without assistance once trained.
Ability to deal with stress related to routine deadlines and occupational problems, which demand immediate attention. Necessity to multi-task successfully. Ability to accept decisions made by others that may be in opposition of own views. Ability to deal with both legislative and administrative personnel of the City in a tactful manner.
Applications can be emailed to HR@cityofnewportrichey.org, faxed to 727-853-1043 or sent/dropped off to 5919 Main St, New Port Richey, FL 34652. DFWP/EOE