Utilities Mechanic I
Utilities Mechanic IDownload Application
DEPARTMENT: Public Works
REPORTS TO: Utilities Operations Manager
CLASSIFICATION STATUS: Full Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: $13.50 hourly
Semi-skilled work to varying degrees of skilled work in the installation, repair, and maintenance of water distribution, reclaimed water distribution and sewage collection systems. Employees in this class perform a wide variety of manual laboring tasks including the operation of construction equipment in connection with the construction and maintenance of the utility systems.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the major tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position. Specific tasks on a day to day basis will reflect the overall areas of expertise for this position.
- Participates in the installation, maintenance, or repair of water distribution, reclaimed water distribution, sewage collection or similar systems; including valves & meters.
- Taps water, reclaimed water and sewer lines, flushes & maintains fire hydrants, cuts pipes, and operates pumps.
- Uses tapping machines, concrete saws, metal detectors, handsaws, pliers, shovels, and wrenches.
- Maintains manholes, operates line-clearing equipment.
- Operates backhoe, trencher, and other types of equipment.
- Maintains Lift Stations, repairs pumps, troubleshoots control logic problems.
- Maintains inventory of parts on service truck; drives service truck and operates radio.
- Reads blueprints, as-built prints, and atlases.
- Records work activities.
- Turns on or off and repairs meters; discusses water or wastewater service problems with users in accordance with city policy.
- Locates lines and fittings.
- Maintains areas around Lift Stations and other facilities.
- Operates tractor, mowers and related grounds maintenance equipment.
- Loads, transports, and unloads equipment.
- Performs routine preventive maintenance on equipment.
- Ability to be “On Call” 24-hr Emergency standby as required by rotation.
- Performs related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of water distribution, reclaimed water, wastewater collection system, plumbing, or irrigation system construction and repair methods.
- Knowledge of tools, fittings, and equipment used in repairing and maintaining these systems.
- Knowledge of water meter installation and repair procedures.
- Skill in driving a service truck and in operating line clearing equipment, pumps, automotive, digging, backfilling and mowing equipment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to prepare records of work activities.
- Ability to read blueprints, maps and as-built data.
- Ability to communicate effectively using speaking, hearing and vision skills.
- Ability to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions and keep accurate field notes.
TRAINING, CERTIFICATIONS, AND EXPERIENCE:
Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma. Two years of experience installing and/or maintaining a water distribution, sewage collection, plumbing or irrigation system. Two years experience of installing and/or maintaining a water distribution, sewage collection, plumbing or irrigation systems. Two years experience in Sewer Collections/Water Distribution. Class “C” Florida Wastewater Collections License/Level I Water Distribution. A comparable amount of directly related experience may be substituted at the City’s discretion for the minimum educational requirements if candidates are not available that fully meet the minimum requirements of the position as posted.
Ability to be “On Call” 24-hr Emergency standby as required by rotation. Employee must live close enough to the City to be able to respond to Emergency call backs and be on scene within 30 minutes. Must possess a valid Florida driver’s license. Must be able to obtain a Florida Commercial Drivers License (CDL) Class D within 30 days from date of hire. Must be able to obtain a Florida Commercial Drivers (CDL) Class B with Tanker Endorsement within 1 year from date of hire. Must be willing to be on-call. This position is to be considered an “essential personnel” and is required to report to duty for emergency situations such as floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, sinkholes, water/sewer breaks and other crises to provide for public safety. Every New Port Richey employee is required to fill out a Disaster Response Survey and is subject to being required to report to work during a declared disaster.
This job often transitions from indoor to outdoors. Ability to lift up to 80 pounds. Ability to frequently bend, climb, stoop, squat and walk. Ability to stand for long periods of time. Physical strength and ability to work long hours-out-of doors, occasionally under adverse weather conditions. Must be able to work around loud noises. Must be familiar with OSHA safety regulations and use of safety equipment pertinent to the work place motor vehicle.
Ability to hear, speak and understand conversation in English in various tones of voice, as well as accents or rapidly spoken in order to be able to do job. Ability to see, read, and comprehends letters, numbers, words, characters or symbols, which are both large and small. Ability to print and draw letters, numbers, words, characters and symbols which are legible and understood by others. Ability to learn complex tasks and remember how to complete tasks without assistance once trained.
Working in confined spaces. Work near high voltage. Ability to work safely in and along roadways where vehicle and pedestrian conflicts are common. Ability to deal with stress related to routine deadlines. Necessity to multi-task successfully. Ability to accept decisions made by others that may be in opposition of own views.
Applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or sent/dropped off to 5919 Main Street, New Port Richey, FL 34652 DFWP/EOE