Patrol Officer – Part Time
Patrol Officer - Part TimeDownload Application
DEPARTMENT: Police Department
REPORTS TO: A superior officer
CLASSIFICATION STATUS: Non-Exempt, Part time
SALARY: $21.88 hourly
This is a generalized public safety position and the work is in the prevention of crime, protection of life and property and apprehension of criminal offenders.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the major tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position. Specific tasks on a day to day basis will reflect the overall areas of expertise for this position.
- May perform assigned duties alone or in the presence of a superior officer.
- Perform directed patrol of the City of New Port Richey Parks and Downtown District.
- Conducts or assists in investigations of suspicious incidents, complaints or criminal activity.
- Prepares and compiles reports and maintains police records.
- Conducts tests to determine intoxication.
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques of the proper handling and precautions for classified, confidential, and sensitive information.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to acquire thorough knowledge of City laws and ordinance, state statutes, geography, departmental policies, regulations and procedures, first-aid methods, and the use and care of firearms, intermediate weapons, empty hand control tactics and motor vehicles.
- Ability to react quickly and calmly in emergencies.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, supervisors, and general public.
- Ability to learn a wide variety of police duties and methods within a reasonable training period.
- Prior law enforcement experience is necessary.
TRAINING, CERTIFICATIONS, AND EXPERIENCE:
High School Diploma or GED Certificate. Currently certified as a Florida Law Enforcement Officer in the State of Florida. Florida Driver’s License required.
Minimum age of 21 and must be a citizen of the United States. Possession of a valid Driver’s License and upon employment the ability to possess and maintain a valid State of Florida Driver’s License is required. In good physical and mental health as determined by licensed physicians designated by the City. Vision requirements of 20/100 uncorrected in each eye, correctable to 20/30 in each eye must be met. Must have no felony convictions and have no misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, a false statement, or moral turpitude. Military personnel must have an honorable discharge and supply form DD-214, DD-256 or NGB22 where applicable. Must successfully complete the application, testing, and background process. Of good moral character as determined by a thorough background investigation. Every New Port Richey employee is required to fill out a Disaster Response Survey and is subject to being required to report to work during a declared disaster.
This is medium work requiring the exertion of 50 pounds of force occasionally and up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Enters and exits vehicles quickly while wearing approximately 15 to 20 pounds of equipment. Runs, climbs over fences and walls to subdue suspects. Manual dexterity to use handcuffs, light flares, fire weapon, perform CPR, etc. May lift objects and/or persons in excess of 50 pounds.
Night vision and peripheral vision are important. Visual acuity is required to operate automotive equipment and weapons. Worker is required to hear sufficiently to perceive information at normal spoken word levels.
May stand or walk for extended periods of time when performing directed patrol, directing traffic and controlling crowds. Exposed to extreme weather conditions such as heat, cold, rain and potentially dangerous environments. Exposed to putrid odors, diseases, chemicals, and excessive noise. Work shift varies and may include evenings, weekends and holidays.