Maintenance Worker I – Grounds Maintenance
Maintenance Worker I - Grounds MaintenanceDownload Application
DEPARTMENT: Public Works
REPORTS TO: Public Works – Grounds Maintenance Section Leader
CLASSIFICATION STATUS: Full and Part Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: $11.01 hourly
This entry level position participates in the day to day operations of the Parks Division to include facility and grounds maintenance.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the major tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position. Specific tasks on a day to day basis will reflect the overall areas of expertise for this position.
- Assisting the public by providing information regarding programming and services.
- Assist in preparing facilities for classes and special events.
- Perform maintenance and custodial duties in parks and park facilities.
- Assist in the care and maintenance of equipment.
- Submits written requests for supplies and materials.
- Assisting in special events as scheduled.
- Detects safety risks and hazards to users and employees and devises corrective measures.
- Following and administering the policies and procedures set forth by the Public Works Department.
- Recognition of emergency situations and administering action as required.
- Remain on call for personnel, maintenance, security and emergency issues 24/7.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of and ability to perform tree and trail maintenance.
- Knowledge of and ability to use standard hand and power tools and equipment for grounds and tree maintenance activities.
- Ability to listen and ascertain the needs of the customer.
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with the public.
- Ability to handle multiple activities at once and work positively within a team model.
- Ability to lift, carry and put away items weighing up to 40 pounds.
- Ability to follow required safety precautions.
- Knowledge of standard cleaning products and chemicals.
- Knowledge of methods and requirements for the upkeep of parks and park facilities.
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate sound judgment.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical activity.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, holidays and during emergency situations as required.
- Ability to communicate effectively and clearly in English, both orally and in writing.
TRAINING, CERTIFICATIONS, AND EXPERIENCE:
Graduate from High School or GED equivalent. This is an entry level position. Experience with hand and power tools and general maintenance knowledge is desired.
Possession of a valid Florida driver’s license. First Aid and CPR certifications are desirable and must be obtained within first six months of hire. Every New Port Richey employee is required to fill out a Disaster Response Survey and is subject to being required to report to work during a declared disaster.
Must be able to lift at least 40 pounds. This job requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception and depth perception. Ability to stand or sit for periods longer than 30 minutes but not to exceed six hours consecutively. Ability to climb ladders and stairs. The Maintenance Worker I position is a physically strenuous and demanding job. A Maintenance Worker I may spend the entire time at work standing, walking, lifting objects and operating equipment. A great deal of stretching and bending is required, often in awkward positions.
Ability to hear, speak and understand conversation in English in various tones of voice, as well as accents or rapidly spoken words. Ability to see, read, and comprehends letters, numbers, words, characters or symbols, which are both large and small. Ability to print and draw letters, numbers, words, characters and symbols which are legible and understood by others. Ability to learn tasks and remember how to complete tasks without assistance once trained. Many cleaning chemicals and pesticides used as a Maintenance Worker I give off noxious fumes and have powerful odors. If not handled properly, the cleaning materials can cause serious injury, sickness and skin irritation and rashes may occur.
Work often transfers from indoors to outdoors. Maintenance Worker I will have to work in all weather conditions and must be prepared for both extreme heat and cold. Ability to accept and support the decisions made by others that may be in opposition of own views.
The City of New Port Richey is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity guidelines and the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of New Port Richey provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
EEOP Utilization Report is available upon request.