Code Enforcement Inspector
Code Enforcement InspectorDownload Application
DEPARTMENT: Police Department
REPORTS TO: Street Crimes Unit Supervisor
CLASSIFICATION STATUS: Full Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: $18.71 hourly
To enforce the codes of the City of New Port Richey.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the major tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position. Specific tasks on a day to day basis will reflect the overall areas of expertise for this position.
- Investigates reports of violations of City enforced laws, codes and regulations.
- Conducts inspections of commercial and residential buildings to identify substandard conditions and prepares notices of violation(s) when appropriate.
- Prepares documentation of violations for presentation to the City special magistrate or county judge.
- Conducts re-inspections as required.
- Reviews cases with the prosecutor in preparation for trial, testifies before City special magistrate or county judge, and performs follow-up investigations of the site to verify violations are corrected to comply with the imposed requirements established by the city ordinance, special magistrate or county judge.
- Works with all governments, City departments and agencies with a need for code assistance to aid them in preparing information necessary for code compliance activities.
- Field checks invoices for charges initiating from lot mowing or demolition and report findings to code compliance supervisor processing.
- Provides code interpretations to others as needed.
The intent of this class description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities required of classifications given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Incumbent may be required to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this job description.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the codes and regulations enforced by the City, laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, and the democratic political process.
- Thorough knowledge of modern building and zoning practices.
- Thorough knowledge of local Housing, Building and Zoning Codes.
- Basic knowledge of the different species of native trees and plant materials.
- Ability to prepare clear and comprehensive reports stating the facts and circumstances.
- Ability to deal with irate citizens in a courteous and effective manner.
- Ability to make on site inspections that can include climbing multiple flights of stairs and ladders.
- Ability to understand and interpret codes, plans and specifications.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with fellow employees, contractors, architects, engineers, public officials and the general public.
- Ability to enforce housing and zoning codes and related ordinances with firmness, impartiality and tact.
- Ability to use electronic data retrieval devices.
- Ability to present ideas and findings clearly and concisely in written, oral or graphic form.
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques of the proper handling and precautions for classified, confidential, and sensitive information.
TRAINING, CERTIFICATIONS, AND EXPERIENCE:
Graduation from high school or equivalent. Incumbent must have a minimum of two (2) years as a Code Enforcement Officer Level I, II, III, IV; or similar enforcement experience (i.e., law enforcement). CEP FACE certification preferred or must secure certification within twelve (12) months of employment.
Must have a valid Florida drivers’ license. Ability to operate a motor vehicle. Every New Port Richey employee is required to fill out a Disaster Response Survey and is subject to being required to report to work during a declared disaster.
This is light work requiring exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and up to 10 pounds of force frequently. Position requires considerable physical activity including walking, lifting, reaching, stooping, pulling, grasping, balancing, climbing, kneeling, standing, and crouching. Incumbent is subject to inside and outside activities with no effective protection from weather.
Visual acuity is required to operate automotive equipment and computer systems. Worker is required to hear sufficiently to perceive information at normal spoken word levels.
May stand for extended periods. Exposed to extreme weather conditions such as heat, cold, rain and potentially dangerous environments. Exposed to putrid odors, diseases, chemicals, and excessive noise. Sits, while driving, for extended periods.
Applications can be emailed to email@example.com or sent/dropped off to 5919 Main Street, New Port Richey FL 34652. DFWP/EOE