Shuttle DriverDownload Application
DEPARTMENT: Parks and Recreation
REPORTS TO: Recreation Manager
CLASSIFICATION STATUS: Part Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: $12.00 – $16.00 hourly
Under the general supervision of the Parks and Recreation Department, incumbent operates assigned vehicles to transport passengers in the City of New Port Richey. Operator provides general public information including events, schedules, and local directions. Duties are performed on a part-time basis with flex hours transporting individuals during a regular work day, evenings, weekends and as required. An employee in this class exercises a high degree of safety and professional demeanor in service to the public. Work is reviewed through observations, reports, conferences, and success in achieving established policies, procedures and goals.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the major tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position. Specific tasks on a day to day basis will reflect the overall areas of expertise for this position.
- Responsible for driving a vehicle while transporting individuals from a pick up site to a designated area.
- Operates vehicle with a pre-determined route and on an established schedule
- Communicates via two-way radio.
- Assists passengers on and off the vehicle and operates the vehicle in a safe and professional manner.
- Provides basic information to the public including distributing literature, booklets, and general materials; answers questions of a general nature and provides directions as required.
- Performs pre and post routine vehicle inspection and records information as necessary.
- Maintains and cleans vehicle of a general nature for safe operation and professional appearance.
- Operates vehicle in accordance with local, state and federal traffic laws, rules, and regulations.
- Prepares and submits correspondence including passenger reports as required.
- Performs all other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Maintain reliable transportation to and from work.
- Must follow required safety precautions.
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate sound judgement.
- Ability to deal tactfully with passengers of all ages and demonstrating professional conduct and positive attitude
- Ability to listen and ascertain the needs of the customer.
- Must possess excellent customer service skills.
- Knowledge of occupational safety rules and practices.
- Knowledge of traffic laws and pedestrian right of way.
- Knowledge of basic vehicle operation and maintenance.
- Ability to understand and communicate orally and in writing information, instructions and directions.
- Ability to detect malfunction(s), make minor repair(s) and report defect to supervisor.
- Ability to maintain the vehicle in a clean (wash windows, remove trash, etc.) and safe manner.
- Ability to operate vehicle in varied weather conditions.
- Ability to assist passengers on and off the vehicle.
- Skilled in the operation of vehicles including use of two-way radio.
- Skilled in operating vehicle under various lighting conditions.
- Skilled in transporting passengers in a safe manner.
TRAINING, CERTIFICATIONS, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Must be First-Aid, CPR and AED certified within first six months of hire.
- Graduate from High School or GED equivalent.
- Two years good driving experience; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Valid Florida Driver’s license is required
Possession of a valid Florida driver’s license. First Aid and CPR certifications are desirable and must be obtained within first six months of hire. Ability to work different shifts, days and hours. Every New Port Richey employee is considered essential personnel and is required to fill out a Disaster Response Survey. You are subject to being required to report to work before, during, and after a declared disaster.
Must be able to lift at least 30 pounds. This job requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception and depth perception. Ability to stand or sit for long periods of up to the entire shift. Ability to see and hear appropriately to safely operate vehicle. Task involves regular and at times some physical effort, i.e., sitting, driving, climbing, standing, walking, reaching, grasping, bending, stooping, pushing, kneeling, pulling and moderate lifting; and standard dexterity in the use of fingers, hands, limbs or body in the operation of vehicle or equipment. Task may involve extended periods of time sitting in a vehicle; or may involve the complex operation of gasoline, electric, or diesel-powered vehicle requiring eye hand coordination and the manipulation of multiple controls.
Ability to hear, speak and understand conversation in English in various tones of voice, as well as accents or rapidly spoken words. Ability to see, read, and comprehends letters, numbers, words, characters or symbols, which are both large and small. Ability to print and draw letters, numbers, words, characters and symbols which are legible and understood by others. Ability to learn tasks and remember how to complete tasks without assistance once trained. Task requires color perception and discrimination. Task requires sound perception and discrimination. Task requires odor perception and discrimination. Task requires visual perception and discrimination. Task requires oral communications ability. Task requires depth perception and discrimination.
Work often is outdoors. Task may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions including rain, dust, fumes, gases, limited lighting; may be exposed to constant and at times heavy vehicle and pedestrian traffic; frequent exposure to noise levels that may cause distractions; work is performed while sitting and driving vehicle with numerous passenger, and at times may include angry or hostile individuals. Ability to accept and support the decisions made by others that may be in opposition of own views.
Applications can be emailed to HR@cityofnewportrichey.org , faxed to 727-853-1043 or sent/dropped off to 5919 Main St., New Port Richey, FL 34652 DFWP/EOE