Senior AccountantDownload Application
DEPARTMENT: Finance – Accounting & Budgeting Division
REPORTS TO: Assistant Finance Director
CLASSIFICATION STATUS: Full Time, Exempt
SALARY: $24.43 – $36.65
Under general direction, the purpose of the job is to perform professional accounting work in preparing, reviewing, and maintaining a general accounting system for municipal government and to perform professional accounting work in accordance to generally accepted standard accounting principles, established procedures, departmental guidelines, and regulatory requirements applicable to the work.
An employee in this job classification is expected to exercise independent professional judgement, based on knowledge of accounting practices and principles, and supervises clerical and technical personnel. Employees in this job classification function at senior professional level to accomplish assigned functions according to established schedules, calendars, projects, and programs of the Department.
Work includes researching and collecting data, preparing clear and concise financial reports, and monitoring expenditures and revenues of assigned divisions and/or departments.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSBILITIES:
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the major tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position. Specific tasks on a day to day basis will reflect the overall areas of expertise for this position.
- Trains clerical and technical personnel
- Oversees Accounts Receivable and assists in monthly reconciliation
- Reconciles certain revenue and/or expenditure accounts and maintains for appropriateness and accuracy
- Researches accounting and reporting issues and develops recommendations, inclusive of issues related to application of generally accepted accounting principles and account analysis
- Maintains accounts in compliance with federal, state, and municipal laws, rules, and regulations
- Reviews transactions for proper fund and account allocation; performs analysis of accounts, and calculates percentages of change of revenues and expenditures for use in financial reporting; extracts, classifies, and summarizes information from computer reports
- Prepares year-end account analysis and prepares adjusting, closing, and reversing journal entries
- Prepares statements and statistical reports and maintains up-to-date and accurate files
- Completes special financial projects, as assigned
- Performs other related work, as required
- Reconciles monthly checking and investment accounts and prepares related journal entries
- Maintains liens and special assessments and related accounts receivables
- Assists with annual financial audit
- Prepares and reviews accounting transactions related to grant funds, review of expenditures and revenue reports for grants and prepares the annual Schedule of Expenditures of Federal Awards and State Financial Assistance (SEFA)
- Assists with maintaining capital assets and inventory
- Assists with the preparation of a variety of monthly, quarterly, and yearly reports
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Accounting or Finance is required (A Bachelor’s Degree in an area other than Accounting or Finance will be considered, if it is supplemented with 2 years of governmental finance and governmental accounting experience.
- Three years professional experience in Accounting is preferred
- Experience in governmental accounting is preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of:
- governmental accounting and auditing principles, procedures, and practices
- laws, rules, and regulations pertaining to budgetary accounting for governmental agencies
- applying accounting principles to the preparation and maintenance of accounting records
- Ability to effectively operate and utilize modern office technologies, such as computers, standard software applications, and associated peripheral equipment
- Ability to delegate tasks, provide proper instruction in a manner conducive to maintain or improve performance and employee morale
- Ability to make decisions within established accounting policies and procedures
- Ability to prepare and explain financial statements, accounting reports, and records
- Ability to establish and maintain effective professional relationships with other employees, vendors, and the public
- Skill in researching, compiling, and summarizing data and information.
Must have a valid Florida’s driver’s license. Every New Port Richey employee is required to fill out a Disaster Response Survey and is subject to being required to report to work during a declared disaster.
While performing duties of this job, the employee must be physically able to operate a variety of automated office machines, which include a computer, calculator, printer, copier, scanner, postage meter, etc. Employee is regularly required to sit, stand, and use hands to feel and handle; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk, stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move items, not exceeding 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Ability to understand what others are saying in normal conversation and on the telephone; Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, with others and speak effectively on the telephone; Ability to see and read computer monitors and read normal and fine print
The employee must be able to deal with extensive public contact, requiring numerous interruptions in workflow. The employee must be able to multi-task successfully and handle routine deadlines and occupational problems, which demand immediate attention.
Applications can be emailed to HR@cityofnewportrichey.org, faxed to 727-853-1043 or sent/dropped off to 5919 Main Street, New Port Richey, FL 34652. EOE/DFWP