Recreation and Events Coordinator
Recreation and Events CoordinatorDownload Application
DEPARTMENT: Parks and Recreation
REPORTS TO: Parks and Recreation Director
CLASSIFICATION STATUS: Full Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: $15.94 – $23.90
This is a full time, position responsible for the coordination and permitting of all city-wide special events, coordination of all Parks and Recreation Department reservations and rentals, supervising the daily operations at the Recreation and Aquatic Center, and the supervision, training, and development of Recreation Leaders.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the major tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position. Specific tasks on a day to day basis will reflect the overall areas of expertise for this position.
- Receives and processes special event applications which includes: review of special event applications, alcohol beverage special event applications, collects special event post event reports, conducts planning and post event meetings with community organizers.
- Coordinates all daily, seasonal, and yearly calendars of Parks and Recreation reservations, rentals, programming activities, and events including camps, classes, clinics, lessons, trainings, trips, special interest groups, private parties, special events.
- Select, train, schedule, evaluate, discipline, and supervise Recreation Leaders.
- Maintain staff within allowed personnel budget.
- May act as supervisor in the absence of the Parks and Recreation Director and Assistant Parks and Recreation Directors.
- Ability to supervise, direct and schedule, Custodians and contractual personnel as assigned.
- Assisting the public by providing information regarding recreational programming and services.
- Assist in organizing programs and prepare facilities for classes and special events.
- Assist in processing department payroll, requisitions and credit card transactions.
- Supervise daily cash handling procedures.
- Assist in interviewing prospective employees.
- Perform custodial duties in maintaining the interior and exterior of the facility.
- Assist in the care and maintenance of recreational equipment.
- Maintains records, prepares reports and composes correspondences relative to work.
- Detects safety risks and hazards to users and employees and devises corrective measures.
- Following and administering the policies and procedures set forth by the Parks and Recreation Department.
- Maintains inventory of equipment, supplies and materials.
- Plans and assists in special events as necessary.
- Assist in the evaluation, preparation and administration of the Recreation Division annual budget.
- Prepare bids for capital expenditure items. May purchase items and services required for recreation operations.
- Recognition of emergency situations and administering action as required.
- Interaction with public regarding recreational inquiries and the ability to intervene and effectively deal with angry or dissatisfied patrons.
- Communicate effectively with the Parks and Recreation Director, Assistant Parks and Recreation Director and Recreation supervisory staff.
- Following and administering the rules and procedures set forth by the City of New Port Richey and Recreation Department.
- Works under the general supervision of the Assistant Parks and Recreation Director.
- Conducts daily facility safety inspections.
- Compliance with all Health Department regulations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Knowledgeable in the use of computers.
- Ability to gather data, compile information and prepare reports.
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
- Ability to multi-task successfully.
- Ability to deal with patrons in an effective and courteous manner.
- Ability to listen and ascertain the needs of patrons; ability to find and communicate accurate information concerning policies and procedures to patrons; ability to respond to patrons tactfully and courteously.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, supervisors, and general public.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and judgments in the absence of the Assistant Parks and Recreation Director.
- Ability to delegate responsibility.
- Ability to organize and conduct staff in-service trainings.
- Ability to supervise the Recreation Center facility.
- Ability to administer and follow the disciplinary procedures set forth by the City and the department.
- Ability to assist the staff at the recreation center front desk as needed.
- Ability to effectively communicate with staff and the public.
- Ability to work nights, weekends, holidays, and during emergency situations as required.
- Ability to quickly analyze and take control of situations or actions that require emergency intervention.
TRAINING, CERTIFICATIONS, AND EXPERIENCE:
Must have a high school diploma or a GED equivalent. Graduation from an accredited college or university with an Associate’s degree with major course work in parks and recreation or a closely related field and two years paid experience in recreation. A comparable amount of directly related experience or training/certification may be substituted for the minimum educational requirements. Must possess a current CPR/AED certification for the Professional Rescuer or have the ability to obtain the certification in the first six months or employment.
A Florida driver’s license is required. Every New Port Richey employee is required to fill out a Disaster Response Survey and is subject to being required to report to work during a declared disaster.
This job requires work that may involve walking, standing and/or sitting for long periods of time. Ability to climb stairs and ladders. Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds.
Ability to hear, speak and understand conversations in English. Ability to see, read, and comprehend letters, numbers, words, characters or symbols, which are both large and small. Ability to recognize smells that may indicate a dangerous condition. Ability to learn complex tasks and remember how to complete tasks without assistance once trained.
Job risks include exposure to human body fluids and waste material, and UV rays. Ability to sit outdoors in extreme heat and inclement weather. Ability to deal with stress related to emergency situations which demand immediate attention as well as staying calm in said emergencies.
Applications can be emailed to email@example.com, faxed to 727-853-1043 or sent/dropped off to 5919 Main St., New Port Richey, FL 34652. EOE/DFWP
The City of New Port Richey is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity guidelines and the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of New Port Richey provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.