Network AdministratorDownload Application
DEPARTMENT: City Manager – Technology Solutions
REPORTS TO: Technology Solutions Director
CLASSIFICATION STATUS: Full Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: $25.00 hourly
Plans, designs, acquires, installs and maintains the city’s technology infrastructure including server and pc hardware, SAN and NAS systems, operating systems, communication hardware, email and the audio-visual system. Work is performed with considerable independence and latitude in conformance with established procedures, but is subject to direction and review by the Technology Solutions Director.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the major tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position. Specific tasks on a day to day basis will reflect the overall areas of expertise for this position.
- Develops network installations. Monitors and evaluates networks performance, forecasts growth and capacity planning for networks and computer systems. This includes LAN/WAN systems, servers, computers, communication systems and distributed processing systems.
- Performs maintenance, configuration, and repair on system hardware including virtual servers and devices, servers and server clusters, SAN and NAS systems, PC’s and attached peripherals, switches, routers and firewalls.
- Administers the Microsoft Server and Exchange environments, including file shares and user accounts.
- Prepares and maintains network records and documentation.
- Provides leadership, direction and support to other staff in matters pertaining to network issues and related user issues.
- Manages system and data backup and retrieval using backup software, disk-2-tape, disk-2-disk, and other backup devices as necessary. Reviews backup logs, troubleshoots and resolves problems involving server backups.
- Coordinates schedules for maintenance, backups, and installations with other departments in order to minimize downtime and system impact to users.
- Reviews procedures and documentation keeping them current with system levels.
- Provides technical support to users for networked systems and software.
- Consults with departments on hardware and software needs. Researches new technology and possible new services to users and staff. Evaluates existing and proposed systems for consolidation where possible.
- Maintain the A/V system in council chambers and perform basic troubleshooting.
- Attend City meetings to run the audio-visual equipment, as needed.
- Develops project proposals for implementation of new technology and services, upgrades and enhancements to existing systems, and other major changes to the systems. Proposals will include time, schedules, equipment and costs.
- Updating and maintaining system inventories, including hardware and software.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Employee will be a member of the Emergency Response Team.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent communications skills (verbal and written).
- Knowledge of Wireless Networking.
- Skilled and proficient in Microsoft Office (recent versions).
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Windows O/S, Server and Exchange Server (recent versions).
- Knowledge of Network Protocols, in particular TCP/IP.
- Extensive knowledge in DNS, Active Directory and Domain Controllers.
- Working knowledge of Backup software (BackupExec is preferred).
- Knowledge of Dell hardware and systems including servers, PC, SAN and NAS, or their equivalent.
- Comprehensive knowledge of information systems infrastructure, capabilities, and limits.
- Knowledge of Network Cabling, Server Installation, and Installation of other technology equipment.
- Ability to multi-task successfully.
- Ability to function in a high stress environment as the result of system failure(s), deadline requirements and rapidly changing priorities.
- Ability to interact with constitutional officers; the citizenry; other elected officials, government agencies and their representatives; as well as corporate officers and entities with tact and respect.
TRAINING, CERTIFICATIONS, AND EXPERIENCE:
Graduation from high school or GED equivalent and a minimum of two years experience in the field of Information Technology, including network and systems administration. Bachelor’s degree in Computer Information Systems preferred. Microsoft Certification such as MCP, MCSA, MCSE, A+, Net+, etc. is preferred.
Must possess a valid Florida driver’s license. Must maintain a valid personal telephone number. May be required to work overtime, or alternate hours, as necessary for the efficient operation of the department. The ability to operate a motor vehicle to conduct site visits, pickup or deliver computer components, or perform other work activities. In a disaster operation, this could involve a large van or delivery-type vehicle. Every New Port Richey employee is required to fill out a Disaster Response Survey and is subject to being required to report to work during a declared disaster.
Tasks require the ability to exert very moderate physical effort in light work, typically involving some combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling, and which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight (12-20 pounds). Tasks may occasionally involve the lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials (20-50 pounds). The employee must also have the ability to stand and sit for periods longer than 30 minutes but not to exceed four hours consecutively, and the ability to climb stairs and ladders occasionally.
The job requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing, speaking, the ability to perceive and discriminate colors or shades of colors, sense of smell, depth perception and texture perception. Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate sounds, visual cues or signals. Employee must also have the ability to print and draw letters, numbers, words, characters and symbols which are legible and understood by others.
Performance of essential functions may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dust, odors, machinery, electric currents, bright/dim light, or traffic hazards. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Work is performed in typical office conditions in all city buildings. Duties may occasionally require work in small or confined spaces, unconditioned air and inclement weather.
Applications can be emailed to email@example.com, faxed to 727-853-1043 or sent/dropped of to 5919 Main St., New Port Richey, FL 34652 EOE/DFWP