Meter Reader Technician
Meter Reader TechnicianDownload Application
DEPARTMENT: Finance – Billing & Collection
REPORTS TO: Billing & Collection Supervisor
CLASSIFICATION STATUS: Full Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: $13.01 – $19.51 hourly
MAJOR JOB FUNCTIONS:
Performs clerical and technical utility work in the reading, maintenance and operation of utility meters. Analyses meter functions of electronic meters in the field. Required to deal with customers on their property when maintaining meters and turning services on or off. Employee’s work is scheduled and supervised by the Billing & Collection Department in connection with the Public Works Department.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be a representative of major tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position. Specific tasks on a day to day basis will reflect the overall areas of expertise for this position.
- Assists the Billing & Collection Office in the maintenance and repair of electronic meter wires, smart points, and antennas in the field using hand held devices
- Reports defective meters to the Billing Clerk so work orders can be sent to Public Works for replacement
- Turns meters on for new accounts and off for delinquent accounts and tags doors for various service related issues
- Inspects meters for damage, leaks and unauthorized connections
- Assist in locating meters for the Public Works Department
- Manually reads meters and assists the Billing Clerk in determining unusual reads and meter related issues
- Performs field tests on meters to ensure accuracy
- Works with computers to analyze data and answer emails
- Maintains city owned truck and equipment to ensure safety and professional appearance
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Possess the skills to analyze meter functions and determine positive outcomes
- Knowledge of basic mechanical skills required to maintain meters and equipment
- Ability to work with difficult customers and animals
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Ability to work alone or in groups
- Ability to work in inclement weather
- Ability to read maps
- Ability to minimally work with computers
TRAINING, CERTIFICATIONS, AND EXPERIENCE:
- Graduation from High School or GED equivalent
- Possess a valid Florida Driver’s License.
- Fill out a Disaster Response Survey and employee will be required to be available to work during a declared disaster.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is constantly required to drive, sit, stoop, stand, walk, reach, kneel and crouch. Employee will need to have good hand eye coordination. Employee will occasionally need to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Ability to hear, speak and understand conversations in English in various tones of voice, as well as accents or rapidly spoken words in order to perform the job. Ability to see, read, and comprehend letters, numbers, words, characters or symbols which are both large and small. Ability to print and draw numbers, words, characters and symbols which are legible and understood by others. Ability to learn complex tasks and remember how to complete tasks without assistance once trained.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works outside and is frequently exposed to heat, cold, wet and/or humid conditions.
Applications can be emailed to HR@cityofnewportrichey.org faxed to 727-853-1043 or sent/dropped off to 5919 Main Street, New Port Richey, FL 34652 EOE/DFWP