Marketing and Community Outreach Coordinator – Parks and Recreation
Marketing and Community Outreach Coordinator - Parks and RecreationDownload Application
DEPARTMENT: Parks and Recreation
REPORTS TO: Recreation Manager
CLASSIFICATION STATUS: Part Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: $16.42 hourly
This is a part-time position that supervises a variety of broad-based public relations, marketing, social media and verbal/written communications initiatives designed to highlight the offerings of the Parks & Recreation Department. Designs, produces and disseminates marketing and public information such as press releases, speeches, newsletters and/or brochures. This position plans, organizes, coordinates and implements promotional efforts by maintaining various webpage and social networking sites and the operation of promotional booths at various special events to increase awareness of the City’s offerings. Creates marketing campaigns that result in increased memberships and usage of the Recreation and Aquatic Center. Related work as required.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein is intended to be representative of the major tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position. Specific tasks on a day to day basis will reflect the overall areas of expertise for this position.
- Designs, plans and implements marketing campaigns using traditional and social media.
- Creates and distributes promotional materials on the Parks and Recreation Department.
- Serves as liaison to various community organizations.
- Coordinates various media related activities for the City including news conferences, press releases and articles for the newsletter as assigned.
- Conducts tours and gives presentations.
- Models appropriate customer service behavior to all staff and customers.
- Performs duties with moderate supervision following established procedures and deadlines.
- Participates in City projects, committees and activities as assigned.
- Assists the Parks and Recreation Director with all duties as assigned.
- Maintains good communication with staff about promotional efforts through staff meetings and written reports.
- Coordinates program activities with other departments, community and service organizations.
- Performs related lower level work as require
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of general office skills and tools including personal computer.
- Knowledge of customer service principles and techniques.
- Knowledge of marketing and public relations.
- Ability to act as a representative of the City to the public.
- Ability to learn and implement department systems and procedures.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationship with other employees, patrons, and community contacts.
- Ability to promote a positive image of the City and its impact on the community.
- Ability to use and be proficient in Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook) and Internet.
- Ability to speak before groups.
- Ability to pay attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to handle multiple activities or interruptions at once and to work positively and effectively within a team model.
- Ability to sit and use computer workstation, including keyboard and visual display terminal, for extended periods of time.
- Ability to effectively express ideas and information verbally, and in writing.
- Ability to maintain fiscal and administrative records.
- Ability to prepare written reports.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of certain customer, employee and city information.
- Skill in basic math and language.
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, holidays and during emergency situations as required.
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate sound judgment.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
TRAINING, CERTIFICATIONS, AND EXPERIENCE:
BA in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, or a related field preferred. Directly related work experience may substitute for educational requirement.
Must be able to work holidays, nights and weekends. Meet FEMA requirement for NIMS certification. Possess a valid Florida driver’s license. Every New Port Richey employee is required to fill out a Disaster Response Survey and is subject to being required to report to work during a declared disaster.
Requires work that involves walking or standing some of the time and routine keyboard operations. Ability to stand, squat and bend repeatedly. The job risks exposure to no significant environmental hazards. The job requires normal visual acuity, and field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception, sense of smell, depth perception, and texture perception. Ability to stand and sit for periods longer than 30 minutes but not to exceed six hours consecutively. Ability to climb stairs and ladders. Ability to lift items not exceeding 40 pounds.
Ability to hear, speak and understand conversation in English in various tones of voice. Adept at listening to and understanding others from a variety of cultural backgrounds. Ability to see, read, and comprehend letters, numbers, words, characters or symbols, which are both large and small. Ability to print and draw letters, numbers, words, characters and symbols which are legible and understood by others. Ability to learn complex tasks and remember how to complete tasks without assistance once trained.
Work often transfers from indoors to outdoors at various times of the year. Ability to deal with stress related to routine deadlines and occupational problems, which demand immediate attention. Necessity to multi-task successfully. Ability to accept decisions made by others that maybe in opposition of own views.
Applications can be emailed to HR@cityofnewportrichey.org, faxed to 727-853-1043 or sent/dropped off to 5919 Main Street, New Port Richey, FL 34652 EOE/DFWP