GIS Application Technician
GIS Application TechnicianDownload Application
DEPARTMENT: Technology Solutions
REPORTS TO: Technology & Innovation Director
CLASSIFICATION STATUS: Full Time, Exempt
SALARY: $23.92 – $35.88 hourly
Under direction, is responsible for developing, supporting and maintenance of an accurate geospatial model of the City of New Port Richey. Oversees the GIS throughout the City by setting the standards by developing modeling methodologies, coordinates geospatial data collection, management, and analysis and performs other duties as required.
DUTIES OF POSITION:
- Reports directly to the Technology and Innovations Director.
- Works directly with the Network Administrator and Technology Solutions Manager under the direction of the Technology and Innovations Director to influences strategic business decisions regarding the use of technology.
- Designs and edits GIS data for numerous projects.
- Ensures alignment of data within City standards.
- Supports development and maintenance of an accurate sustainable geospatial model of Pasco County.
- Develops sustainable systems of collecting and managing data points.
- Generates project maps and presentations to meet the analytical and technical needs of County departments, other Counties, State and Federal agencies, and the public.
- Monitors and applies the best industry practices.
- Maintains data integrity and accuracy.
- Utilizes ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro, or ArcGIS Online in data visualization.
- Manages necessary hardware and software
- Delivers training and technical support to end-users
- Monitors requests for maps and data.
- Ensures that licensing requirements for appropriate GIS software applications and products are met.
- Conducts technical research on emerging technologies and best practices; provides costs analysis and recommendations for procurement of new software.
- Participates in planning activities, including needs assessment and capacity forecasting.
- Assists in the preparation of the annual budget with the Technology and Innovations Director to provide oversight of the department budget including review of purchase requests, contracts, invoices, and creation of bid specifications.
- Attends meetings with department personnel, City agencies, vendors, and outside agencies as required.
Possession of a Bachelor’s Degree in GIS, Geography, Computer Science, CAD drafting or a related field from an accredited college or university and two (2) years’ work experience in GIS OR Associate degree in GIS, Geography, Computer Science, CAD drafting or related field and four (4) year’s work experience in GIS.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of spatial analysis, modeling, and statistics; qualitative analysis; raster analysis; network analysis; data mining.
- Knowledge of analytics to include vector and raster modeling; 3D modeling; data compilation, management, use and evaluation
- Knowledge of earth geometry, land partitioning systems, geo-referencing systems, datums, map projections; digitizing, field data collection, imagery processing, and metadata standards
- Knowledge of ArcGIS Desktop, ArcPro, ArcGIS Online and ArcOnline/ArcEnterprise
- Ability to analyze assigned problems; gather and organize the data to arrive at valid conclusions
- Knowledge of Geographic Information System design for application, model, and database design, as well as planning and implementation.
- Knowledge of ethical; legal property and economic aspects; public sector use; and dissemination of GIS information.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with employees, public and other agencies.
- Knowledge of ArcModel Builder, Structured Query Language (SQL), and Python.
- Knowledge of processes, policies within organizational structure and of the laws and regulations of City government.
- Ability to develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with business and community representatives, the general public, and government officials.
Must have a valid Florida drivers’ license. Ability to operate a motor vehicle. May be required to work nights and weekends for specific events. Every New Port Richey employee is required to fill out a Disaster Response Survey and is subject to being required to report to work during a declared disaster.
Requires sedentary work that involves walking or standing some of the time and routine keyboard operations. The job risks exposure to no significant environmental hazards. The job requires normal visual acuity, and field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception, sense of smell, depth perception, and texture perception. Ability to stand and sit for periods longer than 30 minutes but not to exceed four hours consecutively. Ability to climb stairs and ladders occasionally. Ability to lift boxes not exceeding 25 pounds occasionally.
Ability to hear, speak and understand conversation in English in various tones of voice. Adept at listening to and understanding others from a variety of cultural backgrounds. Ability to see, read, and comprehends letters, numbers, words, characters or symbols, which are both large and small. Ability to print and draw letters, numbers, words, characters and symbols which are legible and understood by others. Ability to learn complex tasks and remember how to complete tasks without assistance once trained.
Administrative and other work is performed under typical office conditions and in every room where operations are conducted. The noise level in the work environment is usually (moderate but may be noisy in certain locations.) By the very nature of this type of work it can be very busy with shifting demands. Ability to deal with stress related to routine deadlines and occupational problems, which demand immediate attention. Necessity to multi-task successfully. Ability to accept decisions made by others that may be in opposition of own views.
Applications can be emailed to HR@cityofnewportrichey.org, faxed to 727-853-1043 or sent/dropped off to 5919 Main St., New Port Richey, FL 34652 EOE/DFWP
The City of New Port Richey is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity guidelines and the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of New Port Richey provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.