Development TechnicianDownload Application
DEPARTMENT: Development Department
REPORTS TO: Development Director
CLASSIFICATION STATUS: Part Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: $14.90 – $20.85
Position requires specialized knowledge of departmental operations and is characterized by highly complex and varied duties which may involve different and unrelated processes and methods requiring varied knowledge and abilities and/or a broad range of skills. This is a technical support position in the Development Department that will be required to handle activities associated with activities of the department to include: the issuance of permits, processing of development related applications, inquiries related to building, planning and zoning, and code enforcement activities. This is a highly visible public contact position that requires exceptional customer service skills in dealing with gaining closure on issues and in dealing with stressful personal contact situations. As a technical support individual this position will deal with customers, utilize the City’s technical computerized applications, and must be knowledgeable of accepted office procedures and etiquette. This position is multi-functional and individuals in this classification will be cross-trained to provide back-up for each other.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the major tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position. Specific tasks on a day to day basis will reflect the overall areas of expertise for this position.
- Receives development applications from contractors, homeowners and their agents.
- Processes applications and plans and tracks applications and prepares office records and reports.
- Prepares and issues permits.
- Answers technically related questions to development department processes.
- Performs administrative and clerical support functions including but not limited to filing, transmittal of notices of violation, meeting notifications, taking minutes, prepares case files, notices, writing of department correspondence, scheduling meetings and appointments.
- Acts as secretary to a review board, if assigned, to take roll, minutes, assemble and distribute staff report packets.
- Provides assistance to director and other staff with technical departmental projects including researching compiling data, and monitoring for compliance with deadlines and agency regulations. Initiates and monitors administrative projects.
- Administrative and clerical functions will include word processing, filing, answering telephones, scheduling meetings, distributing mail, preparing departmental reports, assisting in preparation of yearly budget, and other administrative work normally associated with a government office.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of building codes, planning and zoning practices, code enforcement procedures and permitting activities.
- Skilled in utilizing permitting and code enforcement software applications.
- Ability to speak knowledgeably about code enforcement, planning, zoning issues to the public.
- Knowledge and proficiency in MS Office applications
- Knowledge of planning and zoning practices, building construction activity, and code enforcement procedures.
TRAINING, CERTIFICATIONS, AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma or G.E.D. and three years experience in the construction or development industry.
Preference is given to those with a minimum of two years college with major course work in business administration, public administration, or a related field and experience with a city or county department regulating the construction or development industry.
Must have a valid Florida drivers’ license. Ability to operate a motor vehicle. Every New Port Richey employee is required to fill out a Disaster Response Survey and is subject to being required to report to work during a declared disaster.
Requires sedentary work that involves walking or standing some of the time and routine keyboard operations. The job risks exposure to no significant environmental hazards. The job requires normal visual acuity, and field of vision, hearing, speaking, color perception, sense of smell, depth perception, and texture perception. Ability to stand and sit for periods longer than 30 minutes but not to exceed four hours consecutively. Ability to climb stairs and ladders occasionally. Ability to lift boxes not exceeding 25 pounds occasionally.
Ability to hear, speak and understand conversation in English in various tones of voice, as well as accents or rapidly spoken in order to be able to do job. Ability to see, read, and comprehends letters, numbers, words, characters or symbols, which are both large and small. Ability to print and draw letters, numbers, words, characters and symbols which are legible and understood by others. Ability to learn complex tasks and remember how to complete tasks without assistance once trained.
Ability to deal with stress related to routine deadlines and occupational problems, which demand immediate attention. Necessity to multi-task successfully. Ability to accept decisions made by others that may be in opposition of own views. Ability to deal with customers, both internal and external, in a tactful manner.
Applications can be emailed to email@example.com or sent/dropped of to 5919 Main Street, New Port Richey, FL 34652 EOE/DFWP