Automotive TechnicianDownload Application
DEPARTMENT: Public Works
REPORTS TO: Fleet Supervisor
CLASSIFICATION STATUS: Full Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: $17.00 – $22.95 DOQ
Responsible for performing highly skilled mechanical repairs and routine maintenance of City vehicles and equipment. Performs computerized diagnostics of City vehicles and equipment.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the major tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position. Specific tasks on a day to day basis will reflect the overall areas of expertise for this position.
- Inspects, repairs and performs maintenance on gasoline, diesel-powered, and electric vehicles and equipment.
- Inspects, repairs and maintains City Emergency Services vehicles, construction heavy equipment and other medium to light duty units.
- Performs monthly inspections and services.
- Performs computerized diagnostic testing and analysis.
- Maintains work area and service truck in a clean, orderly manner.
- Assists other technicians, mechanics, mechanic trainee’s and other shop personnel when directed.
- Uses a personal computer or laptop computer for analytical and documentation purposes.
- Performs related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of mechanical repairs and maintenance of automobiles or commercial trucks.
- Knowledge of mechanical repairs on construction equipment.
- Knowledge of mechanical repairs on Emergency Services vehicles.
- Ability to repair or replace tires.
- Ability to perform brake jobs and tune-ups.
- Ability to perform routine monthly preventive maintenance.
- Knowledge and ability to operate a wrecker.
- Knowledge and proper use of Brake lathe.
- Knowledge and proper use of welder and torch equipment.
- Knowledge and proper use of tire changing machine.
- Knowledge of 12 VDC electrical systems.
- Ability to read and comprehend technical equipment manuals and schematic technical drawings.
- Ability to understand and operate underground and above ground fuel storage tank/fuel dispensing equipment.
- Ability to learn additional tasks through supervised assignments.
- Ability to use a personal computer or laptop computer for analytical and documentation purposes.
- Knowledge of various hydraulic systems.
TRAINING, CERTIFICATIONS, AND EXPERIENCE:
Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of an acceptable equivalency diploma. Graduation A minimum of three (3) years of experience as a technician to include maintenance and repair of all types of equipment and performing analytical computerized diagnostics. Must provide their own tools. Must possess and maintain eight (8) A.S.E. certifications from the following areas: A1 (Auto/Light Truck: Engine Repair), A4 (Auto/Light Truck: Suspension and Steering), A5 (Auto/Light Truck: Brakes), A7 (Auto/Light Truck: Heating and Air Conditioning), T2 (Med/Hvy, Truck: Diesel Engines), T4 (Med/Hvy. Truck: Brakes), T6 (Med/Hvy. Truck: Electrical/Electronic Systems), T7 (Med/Hvy. Truck: HVAC).
Must possess a valid Florida driver’s license. Applicants must obtain Florida Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class “C” with-in one year of hire. This position is to be considered an “essential personnel” and is required to report to duty for emergency situations such as floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, sinkholes, water/sewer breaks and other crises to provide for public safety. Every New Port Richey employee is required to fill out a Disaster Response Survey and is subject to being required to report to work during a declared disaster.
Often transitions from indoor to outdoors. Ability to lift up to 80 pounds. Ability to frequently bend, climb, stoop, squat and walk. Ability to stand for long periods of time. Physical strength and ability to work long hours out-of-doors, occasionally under adverse weather conditions. Must be able to work around loud noises. Must be willing to be on-call.
Ability to hear, speak and understand conversation in English in various tones of voice, as well as accents or rapidly spoken in order to be able to do job. Ability to see, read, and comprehends letters, numbers, words, characters or symbols, which are both large and small. Ability to print and draw letters, numbers, words, characters and symbols which are legible and understood by others. Ability to learn complex tasks and remember how to complete tasks without assistance once trained.
Must be able to work in a fleet maintenance garage atmosphere. Must be able to work in confined spaces. Must be able to handle several different types of automotive chemicals.
Applications can be emailed to email@example.com or sent/dropped off to 5919 Main Street, New Port Richey, FL 34652. DFWP/EOE