The Victim Advocate (VA) serves as a liaison with other criminal justice agencies and institutions concerned with victim/witness needs. Responsibilities of the VA include:
- Assisting families at hospitals, funerals and with legal and other benefit matters.
- Assisting officers and detectives to provide assistance and information on cases.
- Assisting victims in filing for compensation from the State Bureau of Crimes Compensation and Victim/Witness Services.
- Training sworn and non-sworn personnel about the existence and function of the program at least once every two (2) years.
- Ensuringthat the victims/witnesses are advised of the status of their cases, including the arrests and release of suspects.
- Assisting in the notification of family members when an employee is killed or seriously injured in the line-of-duty.
- Maintaining long-term contact with the family to assist in any way.
The Victim Advocate can be reached Monday -- Friday (excluding holidays) 8 A.M. -- 4 P.M.
Phone: (727) 232-8948.